OUR HISTORY

Throughout the years, many people have served to develop the faithfulness of those who join together as Christ's body, the church. The earliest of those who gathered to form McFarland Lutheran Church were Norwegian settlers from the village of McFarland and the surrounding Town of Dunn. The congregation was established in 1867 by the Rev. Aall Ottesen, a Norwegian pastor called to serve as a circuit rider to several Lutheran congregations in this area of the New World. The Rev. Otteson served both McFarland Lutheran and Christ Lutheran Church in Stoughton until around 1890 when the two parishes were able to support their own pastors. Worship services were held in Norwegian until some time in the 1920s.

The first church building, dedicated in 1876, was destroyed in a windstorm in 1881. The second church building, constructed in 1881, burned to the ground on Christmas Eve in 1895, probably due to a lighted candle on the Christmas tree that was not properly extinguished. The next structure, the third church, was built in 1895, stood until 1975 when it was burned as an exercise for the local fire department. Destroying that wooden structure made way for the existing sanctuary, which was added to the 1962 education wing. Further expansion to the current structure - a gymnasium-sized multi-purpose room called the Family Life Center, education rooms and a larger narthex or gathering space - was undertaken in the 1990s and finished in 1997.

Pastors called to serve the congregation in the past include the Rev. J. A. Otteson, Rev. C. M. Hvistendahl, Rev. A. Bredesen, Rev. R. O. Brandt, Rev. Morris Sorenson, Rev. G. T. Bergee, Rev. H. J. Rasmussen, Rev. Harvey Johnson, Rev. Thomas Smrcka, Rev. Michael Baucom, Rev. Peter Jonas, and Rev. Willard Lund. The church now numbers close to 1,900 members.

One of this congregation's most significant accomplishments was opening a preschool in 1980 under the auspices of Martin Luther Christian Day School in Stoughton. By 1991 the preschool had grown to the extent that the congregation dropped its affiliation with Martin Luther, and committed to supporting the school independently. The preschool - now called Child Life Ministries (CLM) - continues to serve the McFarland community with preschool classes, day care, after school, and school-age child care. Our CLM outreach ministry takes its place along with other opportunities for ministry and discipleship, like Befrienders, Bethel Series, Alpha Bible Study, Life Keys, women's circles, youth ministry, and so many more. McFarland Lutheran Church currently rallies under the E.L.C.A. theme, Fanning the Flames of Discipleship, as we seek to grow deeper into Christ and the community that bears his name.

1867

First church

According to the Norwegian Lutheran Encyclopedia, McFarland Lutheran Church was organized under the pastoral leadership of the zealous pioneer missionary, the Reverend J.A. Otteson of what was then the far-flung parish known as West Koshkonong. The first worship services had been held as early as February 19, 1864, in a log school house on the site of the present east cemetery.

1869

Building of the first church began, taking several years to complete (finished in 1873 - dedicated in 1876). The site was where the present cemetery exists.

1875

McFarland Lutheran Church becomes a separate congregation (formerly a branch of West Koshkonong). The Reverend C.M. Hvistendahl installed as Pastor of a newly formed parish consisting of the East Side Church in Stoughton and the McFarland Lutheran Church.

The Church Choir and the Ladies Aid were organized.

Second church

1881

Pastor Hvistendahl resigned to return to his native Norway. The first church building was destroyed in a windstorm. The church was rebuilt using salvageable materials at a cost of three thousand dollars. The Reverend Adolph Bredesen called to the Stoughton and McFarland parish and the first class confirmed.

1895

Second church building destroyed by fire following the Christmas tree program.

 

Third church

1897

Third church completed at cost of $ 5,017.28 (site, organ, carpet, bell).

1900

The congregation voted to divide the parish and called the Reverend R. O. Brandt as its first resident pastor. The first parsonage was built at this time at a cost of about two thousand dollars including site. This house still stands directly east of the church. The first Sunday School with an enrollment of thirty five pupils and six teachers.

1901

The "Lutheran Alliance" which became the Luther League was organized.

1917

Three Norwegian Synods united to form the Norwegian Lutheran Church of America. Pastor Brandt urged the transition from the Norwegian language to English in McFarland. English soon became used at about half of the worship services.

1927

Pastor Brandt stricken with apoplexy while presiding at a meeting of the congregation. Funeral services were held March 28, 1927. He and his wife who died in 1939 are buried in the family lot in the McFarland cemetery and a monument was erected by the members of the congregation in loving remembrance. The Reverend M. A. Sorenson installed as pastor on November 6th. At this time Norwegian services were conducted only on the first Sunday of each month. The constitution was revised and translated into the English language.

1928

A Men's Club was organized. 1930 Northeast corner of the church extended to make a place for the choir. An envelope system for contributions introduced.

1948

Discussions regarding remodeling of church were begun. Rev. Sorenson resigned September 8th, 1948 to accept a call to Argyle, Wisconsin after a pastorate of more than twenty years in McFarland.

1949

The Reverend G. T. Bergee called as pastor. Building committee elected. Women's suffrage voted in.

1950

Plot 132'x 284' north of the church purchased.

1952

Complete remodeling of the church basement and sacristy addition.

1953

On a call to Japan Morris Sorenson, Jr. was commissioned as a missionary.

1955

Building of the new parsonage.

1960

Parsonage debt paid.

1961

Property bought for expansion.

Educational building image

1962

Educational building constructed and dedicated in January of 1963.

1963

Bethel Series (Bible Study for Adults) instituted.

1965

Pastor G. T. Bergee resigned to accept a call to Beloit, Wisconsin. Pastor H. J. Rasmussen installed.

1967

Educational Unit Mortgage burned, 100th Anniversary Celebration, Altar Guild organized and Building Fund established.

1969

Pastor H.J. Rasmassen retires.

1970

The Rev. Harvey Johnson called as pastor.

1972

Planning Council established.

1973

Building Committee appointed.

1974

Groundbreaking September 1, 1974.

1975

Pastor Johnson passes away after being stricken with cancer. Funeral services were held in February 1, 1975. The Rev. Thomas Smrcka called as pastor. Dedication of new worship center.

1980

Rev. Michael Baucom installed.

1990

Rev. Peter Jonas installed.

1991

Interim Pastor Rev. Joel Diemer McFarland Lutheran votes to administer and finance McFarland Lutheran Christian Preschool independently from Martin Luther Christian Day School located in Stoughton.

1992

Rev. Terry Peterson Installed June Rev. Willard Lund 125th Anniversary

1993

Rev. John Bergson Installed

1996

Construction started on new addition to the current church (new Family Life Center, new entrance and Gathering area, new Sunday school rooms, additional preschool rooms and remodeling of the old Educational Wing for church staff

1997

Rev. Willard Lund retires Rev. Jerry Pribbenow New addition finished

2004

Church addition image

Oct. Rev. Jeffrey Tomberlin Installed

2007

June Rev. Terry Peterson retires

<< Go to the About Us Page